If you’ve been affected by bushfires, there’s a range of information, services and resources available to help you look after your property and rebuild your home.

Returning to your home after a fire

Always check with emergency services that it is safe to return to your property after a bushfire.

While the fire danger may have passed, hazards may still be present such as:

  • fallen trees and other objects
  • sharp objects
  • damaged electrical wires
  • smouldering coals
  • ash
  • asbestos
  • gas cylinders
  • farm, garden and cleaning chemicals
  • dust.

To learn more about, read Bushfire recovery and your property.

After a natural disaster, you will need to assess the state of your home to determine if you can move back in.

Any building work should be carried out by a licensed builder or demolition contractor. If your home contains asbestos you may need to engage a licensed asbestos removalist.

Once your home has been assessed by the builder, contact your insurance company to work out an action plan.

It is important when rebuilding that you think about how you can protect your home from natural disaster. You need to consider the risk to your home and make building decisions that will reduce the impact of a disaster. Your home is more likely to survive a disaster if it is built to planning and construction standards.

Architectural assistance

If you lost your home due to natural disaster and were uninsured or grossly under-insured, you may be able to get free advice from a registered architect.

Depending on your specific situation, the assistance may vary from simple advice to full design and planning services.

You may also apply on behalf of a small local business or community that has lost its assets such as shops, halls, churches or theatres.

Apply for architect assistance

Rebuilding advice and support

Plan SA has put a range of measures in place to help streamline the rebuild process. For rebuilding, planning and building application support or advice, please contact Plan SA.

Rebuilding fences

When rebuilding fences, you must consider:


People who are SA Water customers

If you are experiencing mains water outages, phone the SA Water Customer Care Centre on 1300 729 283.

Firefighting - If your private water tank was accessed by the Country Fire Service (CFS) to assist with firefighting purposes, you can commence the process to have it replenished by filling out the CFS essential water replenishment form available on the CFS website and emailing it to CFSFirelineandwaterrequests@sa.gov.au, or by calling the CFS directly on 0438 655 061.

As an SA Water customer, you will not be charged for water used to prepare or defend properties, or for water lost through pipes damaged in the fires. If you have questions, or need support with water supply, phone SA Water on 1300 729 283.

SA Water website


Information on bushfires and rainwater quality

Power supply

Keep away from any electricity equipment that has been damaged during a disaster and report it to SA Power Networks by phoning 
13 13 66.


For natural gas supply outages contact your gas supply company and for gas leaks phone the free 24-hour gas emergency and leak reporting service on 1800 427 5325.


Disaster assistance for flood-affected customers

Anyone affected by floods, including people who have lost their houses, can register for a Telstra assistance package.
Phone 13 22 03

All outreach efforts are being made to those who have been impacted by the disaster and requiring housing assistance.

A range of options is being explored, working closely with the community to address each household's unique needs.

If you have been impacted by the floods and are in need of temporary housing, please contact the Berri or Mannum Relief Centre