Financial Assistance

A range of services and financial assistance measures are available to help you with your recovery.

Waiver of state government administration fees

The Government of South Australia may waive certain fees and charges for people affected by natural disasters.

These include:

Phone Service SA on 13 10 84 or go to a Service SA Customer Service Centre for more information.

Land Services SA

Land Services SA have a Bushfire Relief Program for eligible property owners, including

  • register searches free of charge
  • registration fee relief for transfers and other related dealings.

Visit the Land Services SA website for more information.

Local council

Some councils have other waivers and fee relief programs in place. Contact your local council for more information


Payment arrangements for emergency services levy, state taxes, or any outstanding fines.

Revenue SA Website

Tax Help Program

Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax.

Eligibility criteria apply. More information is available at the ATO Tax website.

UniSA Tax Help Clinic

The Tax clinic at UniSA is a friendly, student-run service providing free advice from UniSA taxation students under the supervision of experienced tax professionals.

If you are an Australian resident (for tax purposes), or a small business without a tax agent, they may be able to help you.

Tax implications around grants

For income tax implications related to receiving grants, please contact the ATO.

Banks assisting disaster affected customers

We are aware of the following banks offering assistance to their customers. Please contact your bank for more information.

Find out how to replace your documents. In major disasters some replacement fees may be waived.

Australian passports

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade may replace, free of charge, passports that have been lost or damaged in declared natural disasters. Visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website or phone the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232.

Birth, death and marriage certificates

Replace birth, death and marriage certificates online or phone Consumer and Business Services (CBS) on 131 882 .

Document Replacement Application Form

Certificates of title

A certificate of title is an official record of land ownership in South Australia.

You can get a copy of your Certificate of Title  online through SAILIS.

Click here for more information.

Concession and health care cards

To replace concession and health care cards, including Medicare card, Seniors card and Pensioner concession card:

If you need your card urgently, a service centre can provide you with a temporary card.

Firearms licences and registration papers

Phone the SA Police Firearms Branch on 7322 3346 or email

Proof of age card

Apply for a proof of age card online.

Tenancy agreements

To obtain a copy of a tenancy agreement, contact your landlord or agent.

Seniors Card

Contact the Seniors Card Unit (free call 1800 819 961) or email and a replacement card will be ordered for you. There is no charge for a replacement card.

When a new Seniors Card is issued, the old card will be cancelled. Any balance on your card will be automatically transferred to the new card.

Vehicle registration and licences

Phone or visit Service SA to replace a range of documents:

These documents can be replaced online:

SafeWork SA permits, licences and registration

If you have lost registered motor vehicles due to a natural disaster, you can ask for a refund of some of your Registration and Third Party Insurance fees (PDF 130KB).

If you need help with financial decisions after a bushfire, visit the dealing with natural disasters website for advice.

The SA Business Information Hub provides information, advice and support for businesses impacted by bushfires and COVID-19.

Free financial counselling is available by contacting the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. You can receive free, independent and confidential advice to help you manage your debts or negotiate with creditors. The service does not provide investment advice or recommend products, or receive commissions.

Small business owners and sole traders can also access free financial counselling by calling the  Small Business Bushfire Counselling Support Line on 1800 413 828. You can speak with a financial counsellor about your options. The service is non-judgmental, free, independent and confidential.