Waiver of state government administration fees

The Government of South Australia is waiving certain fees and charges for people affected by the bushfires.

These include:

Phone Service SA on 13 10 84 or go to a Service SA Customer Service Centre for more information.

Land Services SA

Land Services SA have a Bushfire Relief Program for eligible property owners, including

  • register searches free of charge
  • registration fee relief for transfers and other related dealings.

Visit the Land Services SA website for more information.

Local council

Some councils have other waivers and fee relief programs in place. Contact your local council for more information


The Government of South Australia is providing tax relief measures for people affected by the bushfires.

These include:

  • tax relief for the stamp duty payable on the purchase of replacement properties and motor vehicles
  • relief for 2019-2020 and 2020-21 land tax liabilities
  • a hold on the Emergency Services Levy debt collection.

Australian Tax Office (ATO) bushfire assistance

The ATO can provide a range of support options including:

  • extra time to pay your debt or lodge tax forms such as activity statements
  • help finding your lost tax file number (TFN) by using methods to verify your identity such as your date of birth, address and bank account details
  • re-issuing income tax returns, activity statements and notices of assessment
  • helping you re-construct tax records lost or damaged in the bushfire
  • prioritising any refunds you are owed
  • setting up a payment plan tailored to your circumstances including an interest-free period
  • remitting penalties or interest charged during the time you have been affected by the bushfires
  • giving you more time to meet SMSF lodgments and payment obligations
  • ability to give you a refund when you lodge, which we’d normally use to reduce or pay down a debt.

To learn more about what support you may be eligible, phone the ATO Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218 or visit the ATO website for bushfire information.

Tax Help Program

Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax.

Eligibility criteria apply. More information is available at the ATO Tax Help website.

UniSA Tax Help Clinic

The Tax clinic at UniSA is a friendly, student-run service providing free advice from UniSA taxation students under the supervision of experienced tax professionals.

If you are an Australian resident (for tax purposes), or a small business without a tax agent, they may be able to help you.

Tax implications around grants

For income tax implications related to receiving grants, please contact the ATO.

Banks assisting bushfire-affected customers

We are aware of the following banks offering assistance to their customers. Please contact your bank for more information.